Friday, July 13, 2012

Week 2 Blog Response 1 - Julia Hutchinson


Julia Hutchinson's Blog: 


Week 2 / Blog 1 – The Art of Possibility (Ch. 1-4
I had no idea what to expect from this book, and was actually puzzled as to why this course was even assigned a textbook. Now that I’ve read the first four chapters, I am starting to understand the timing and relevance of this book. “The Art of Possibility” is my personal Oprah/Dr.Phil, causing me to take an objective, external look at Julia Hutchinson. Here’s a look at some of my “ah-ha” moments:



I can’t tell you how many times I’ve convinced myself that an opportunity was unattainable because of one reason or another. At one time, I had an idea to start a business. I didn’t. Why? Because I convinced myself I didn’t have the knowledge or the money to do it. When I got the money, I didn’t have the time. When I had the time, I didn’t have the….well, you get the idea. I kept pinning myself inside this box of limitations, rather than enlarging (or even removing) the box.



As a instructor, it is easy to position myself on the throne of rightful authority. What I say goes because I’m the teacher and you are the student. Why else would you enroll in my course? (And we wonder why students have attitudes.) Over the past few years, I have relinquished my total authority in exchange for a more democratic approach to student projects, even going as far as allowing students to set the criteria and choices for certain projects. What a difference it made! When I let go of the reigns, the truly creative students fly!


My Response to Julia: 

Julia,
After I though about the first four chapters I came to the realization that many times we are bound to "self fulfilling prophesy". You are right. Many times we limit our ability by literally making our box smaller, or hiding behind the box because even it scares us. Possibilities shouldn't be scary, they should be exciting and refreshing. 

It is a hard thing sometimes to let go of those reigns of authority. Students tend to resist and resent when they feel forced to do things outside of their control. Although it is a better approach to allow students to lead their learning, it is up to us to be fully in the facilitator position to help redirect and refocus. But if students truly take the lead, they will fly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment